Browse around my shop to add fitness programs or nutrition plans
Product is not available in this quantity.
Beach Volleyball Tournaments: Getting Started!
Getting started series
An Overview for Parents & Players New to the Beach Volleyball “Scene”
So you’re hooked on beach volleyball, but not sure where to start with partners, tournaments and training. Perfect! This series of blog posts is for YOU!
(1/3) Tournaments – Getting Started (This Post!)
(2/3) Partners – Who should I play with? (Coming Soon)
(3/3) Training – The Process (Coming Soon)
Tournaments – How do I start competing?
Fantastic! You’re feeling good about your skills and you’re ready to compete. So go ahead and grab a partner and sign up for a tournament!
One of the best aspects of beach volleyball is that YOU get to decide when/where to compete, and with whom. This is a huge change from the indoor club system, where the tournament schedule is fixed in stone, with little flexibility.
The goal of this post is to help you be successful in setting up your beach volleyball competition schedule by providing some context and resources. We’ll show you where to look for tournaments and provide a brief overview of coaching at tournaments, the bid system, club trips and national tournaments.
Flourish Beach hosts tournaments over the summer months only on their 4-outdoor courts in Indian Hills, CO. The beauty of this venue is unrivaled! (ok, we may be a bit biased)
Tournaments Listing Websites: Find a tournament!
Browsing these websites will keep you in the loop as to when/where tournaments will be held across the United States. Easy travel locations from CO include Arizona & Texas, where there is warm weather year round and good competition. Many Flourish players regularly travel to “local” events in AZ & TX.
Explore the following site by clicking through the links:
- Let your coaches know when/where you are playing, and who you are playing with! We’ll do our best to support you during training, and if possible, we will send coaches to the tournament.
- Coaches are NOT always going to be at your tournaments, so plan to be “self-sufficient”. Have a plan for your warm-up, and be prepared to call your own time-outs during the competition.
- If coaches are not present at the tournament (and even if they are!), set up your live-stream and send your coach a link so we can follow along!
- TAKE FILM. TAKE FILM. TAKE FILM. I’m going to write a whole post on the importance of film, but for now, take at least 1 match, or 2-3 games worth of film. Set the camera up in middle back, where you can see the full end line along the bottom of the screen, as well as both antennas. Make sure the is plenty of space above the net to see the set fly through the sky. Then, upload the game film & highlights to your YouTube account.
Yes, we pay our coaches for the time that they spend coaching at tournaments. The cost for your team is $75 per day, which allows us to support your athletes and our coaches. We will assign a max of 3 team per coach on a tournament day.
If you’re just starting out with tournaments – grab a partner, and start playing local tournaments through VOTR or Flourish Beach. If you finish near the top of your age group and get a bid, then follow on and read the National Tournament FAQ section below!
What are Bids & National Tournaments?
- Local tournaments will generally provide “Bids” that qualify the top finishers (1st & 2nd , sometimes 3rd ) for entry in larger “National Championship” tournaments
- The national tournaments usually occur in July, but some have branched out to have Winter Championships as well. In 2020, we traveled to a AVP national championship held in November!
- Each organization has a “Yearly Membership Fee” that ranges between $25-$50, and is required to play in the local bid tournaments
Major National Championship Organizations & Championship Dates
Traveling to a National Tournament (usually held on a beach in CA or FL) is a MUST for a new beach volleyball player. Experiencing the “beach culture” and the level of play on the coasts (generally higher than inland) has an incredibly positive effect on players, infusing their training with higher levels of motivation and connection to their path as a beach volleyball player.
At the very least, a National Tournament is a great excuse to head to the beach for a week – Do I need to say any more?!
Does it matter which National Championship I travel to play in?
Short answer: No, it doesn’t matter
All of the National Championships are all plenty competitive, so attend the event that works the best with your schedule and is in a location that you want to travel to.
What events does Flourish travel to as a club?
Generally, as a club we will send coaches to 2-3 of the National Championship Tournaments.
At these events, we will coordinate pre-tournament training, a central “hub” for the tournament (easy-up, or home base) and some group dining options. If you have a bid and are planning on traveling, make sure to RSVP so we can plan with you!
Results in National Tournaments are meaningful to college coaches for recruiting.
As a general standard, if your goal is to play Division 1 Beach Volleyball, you should be finishing in the Gold Bracket at least one of the National Championships prior to or during the summer of your junior year.
This is NOT a hard and fast rule, but a general “litmus check” for where your competitive level is.
Interested in traveling this summer with Flourish? If you have earned bids and are ready to go, fill out this form to share with us what events you’re planning on traveling to.
Interested in joining Flourish Volleyball? Start by < filling out this Contact Form > with some basic information about your athlete and we will get in touch with you!